Pages

Tuesday 2 October 2012

What's My Name?

Weird as it may seem, sometimes I forget what my name is.

It's been a while since I've introduced myself as 'Anna' but I still go by that name among certain circle of friends; the name 'Diem' foreign to them.

I also have friends who don't even know that I once went by the name 'Anna', and friends who knew me as 'Anna' and adapted to 'Diem' once I had dropped my first name.

For the record, my REAL name is both 'Anna' and 'Diem'. I did not just spring a "fake" name on people.

I wonder, for the people who once knew me as Anna, do they still remember? When they think of me, what name immediately pops into their head? Does it take them that little second to recognise Diem as I do?

I have a feeling that if someone were to call out 'Diem', it'll probably go unnoticed by me. It's been five years since I dropped the 'Anna' and became 'Diem', and yet I don't associate myself with the name 'Diem'. Not as  I once associated the name 'Anna' with myself. I no longer associate myself with the name 'Anna', as it has been five years since I've properly gone by that name.

Perhaps the only name I react autonomously to is Diá»…m, the true Vietnamese way to say it as that's the only name that has remained constant in my 8640 days.

My name has been a touchy subject in the past; I've heard all the variations you can think of:

Anna Ding Dong - because Dinh sounds like Ding, and why not just add Dong at the end of my name?
Anna Dinh Dinh - because to children, Diem and Dinh look the same.
Anadin Extra - who knew my name would become a headache pill?
Anna Ding Dong, it's time for Dinh-ner - a variation to the first, because sometimes, Anna Ding Dong just isn't enough.
Anna Dim Dinh - because sometimes the 'e' in 'Diem' just doesn't stand out enough.

And let's touch on the topic of introducing myself as Diem in a club. Typical conversation goes like this:

Clubber: So what's your name?
Me: Diem.
Clubber: Diane?
Me: No, Diem.
Clubber: Ohh, Diam / Di-eem.
Me: DEE-EM.
Clubber: Oh cool, what does DM stand for?
Me: It's spelt, D-I-E-M.

Rarely do they get it right the first time. Maybe I should just go back to plain ol' boring Anna. I did try to spice it up a little by adding 'h' on the end when I was in sixth form. Annah. Why I have an odd fascination with "sprucing" up my name is beyond me. I guess I just don't like to be common.

And children can be so cruel.

- Diem(?) xo

P.S. Does anyone else have a coloured photo on their licence?

No comments:

Post a Comment