Pages

Monday 8 October 2012

Thank God For Spellcheck



Since graduating from university, my spelling has taken a downfall. Since spellcheck has entered my life, my spelling has taken a downfall. I used to be very good at spelling  now it's atrocious. Whenever I type, I really do rely on the trusty red squiggly line and right click. That way  I can use big long words that I can't spell, correct myself, and sound really clever. And that's not all I use it for, I am pretty useless when it comes to typing  I make a lot of mistakes, and the good ol' squiggly red line also alerts me when I make a typo. What would I do without you, eh?

Another tool I should thank is the synonym function, without that, I would use the same word over and over again. But I haven't needed to write up a lab report for a couple of years now (thank god!) so I haven't used the synonym tool for a while now.

When writing using a pen and paper, and I don;t know if the word exists or if I don't know how to spell it, I always use a synonym  one I do know how to spell. That also holds true for the prefix to denote the opposite. For example, if I didn't know what prefix to use before the word 'comfortable', instead of just guessing and potentially make myself look like an uneducated fool, I just use my trusty word 'not': "It's not comfortable". I know it's sneaky, but I'm sure everyone does it too.

Or should I really be thankful? If I wasn't so reliant on spellcheck, maybe I would be better at proof reading and spelling in general? Hmm..

“A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other one.”
-- Baltasar Gracián

- Diem xo

No comments:

Post a Comment